Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Achievement Unlocked - Diapers and stuff

I am really thankful that we hired a confinement nanny. Have no idea what we'd do without her help and expertise. Auntie Sai Hua was trained at Mt Alvernia hospital and she has been working as a confinement nanny for over 20 years. As a result, she is very good with Andrew.

We brought Andrew home from the hospital at Day 3 and Sai Hua came on Day 4. Normally she'll come on the day of discharge, but Andrew came early and she needed to settle some stuff before coming to SG.

That means we spent one day/night on our own. And man, it was NOT pretty. Andrew cried every hour, and wailed through diaper changes. Melvin and I were not good at changing diapers and we didn't sleep at all that night.

After Auntie Sai Hua came, we went "OK he's yours!" and took a nap.

Let me put it this way, he didn't cry when she changed his diapers. I think it's because Andrew feels secure when she is handling him.

We are better at doing stuff like changing diapers. Had to learn alot from Sai Hua. At least he doesn't cry when we change his diapers now. She attends to Andrew and takes really good care of him. Of course.. taking really good care also means she feeds him VERY well (combination of my milk plus some formula as topup).. and Andrew is now at least 3.5kg. This means he's put on at least 0.8kg to 1kg in less than a month. It's more than a 30% increase in weight.. He's getting chubby.

Anyway, yesterday she taught me how to bathe Andrew. You'd think it should come to me easily. I mean, we have been showering for years. Andrew begs to differ. The moment I put the wet washcloth to his hair, he started screaming bloody murder and he ended up pooing in his towel. The wailing didn't stop until I was done bathing him >.>

This doesn't happen when SH bathes him, btw. He's chill and even smiles when she bathes him.

So today, I tried again. And it's getting better. At least he wasn't screaming bloody murder all the way.


Everything has been a steep learning curve for us. From how to breastfeed (yes, apparently that doesn't come as naturally as some ppl think), how to massage my boobs so that the ducts don't get clogged with milk and give me a fever, to how to diaper change him, how to give a baby massage etc etc.

I think things are getting better.

I also wish SH's contract with us didn't expire so soon. She's going back to Malaysia this Sunday, then she'll need to prepare for her next client. It's going to be another period of adjustment after she leaves because we have been so dependent on her.

*fingers crossed* I hope we survive this.


No comments: